Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Hint of Heather - Rebecca Hagan Lee

A Hint of Heather
by Rebecca Hagan Lee

Story rating - 3
Editorial rating - 4


Jessalyn MacInnes has watched her clan die in front of her, including five older brothers and her father - the MacInnes Laird. That leaves her to assume the responsibilities over a starving, battle-weary clan.

Neil Claremont, Earl of Derrowford is an architect indentured into His Majesty's army to build a fort and roads through the wild highlands. Although he outranks the commanding officer in society, he is second in command to a very egotistical and insecure Major General, who is determined to throw a completion party at the fort before the fort has been completed, leaving it unsecured, unguarded, and in a hissy fit, he locks Neil in his quarters for pointing out that the celebration is premature.

Enter the Auld Gentlemen from Clan MacInnes. Instructed by their dying laird to kidnap Neil from the fort, they haul Neil back to the castle as the contracted husband to the new young lady laird, Jessalyn, a contract made between the dead laird and Neil's grandfather.

I am a fan of Scottish historicals, but I have to say this one didn't do it for me. The approach to the young lady laird was unique, and the Earl was all that an honorable gentleman should be. The story was slow to start, and although overall it was well written (there were a few editorial snafus as noted in that rating), it just didn't pull me in. Jessalyn was a little inconsistent for me - a woman trying to be more than she is and for the most part succeeding. Neil went a little over the top to impress her with his buckets of money and extravagant dowry. I was a little confused about the Laird's Trysting Room in that their was a second entrance that someone else had access to, and yet that someone else didn't have access when it counted (maybe I missed it when I read it, but I didn't understand the locking system for that someone else).

I will claim subjective viewpoint on this - I'm confident someone else will love this story, and some famous authors are recommending it. For me, it was a light-hearted read that didn't keep me up at night. I can admire Jessalyn's "pluck" and I can admire the way Neil adapted to his circumstances (although he maybe adapted a little too quickly for my liking). The bad guy was evil and the players all had backstories to support their personalities. The plot was even and the foreshadowing laid out well. Again, this wasn't a bad story, it wasn't badly written. It just didn't resonate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment