Sunday, September 7, 2014

In Your Dreams by Kristan Higgins

In Your Dreams (Blue Heron #4)
Kristan Higgins

5 stars

Emmaline's former fiance is getting married, and she's invited to the wedding. Her parents, both psychologists, will psychoanalyze her choice, so to prove that she's moved on, she decides to go, but she wants a date so that people don't feel sorry for her. A tomboy, she has avoided relationships after the crushing way her ex dumped her. Enter Jack Holland, the consummate good guy, hero material, handsome. So out of her league. But Jack helps all the damsels in distress. He's been a wedding date before and is always willing to step up to the plate when asked. But being "perfect" comes with its own set of issues. What happens when a hero can't save everyone?

This book had laugh out loud moments, my favorite was when, during a chicken fight in the pool, Em wants to tattoo on her thighs "Jack Holland's head was here." Yes, I stopped reading and actually laughed. Out loud. The emotional layers carried me from Em's mortification over her childhood tic, to the inadequate way her "professional" parents dealt with it to her discomfort wearing a dress. Not sure the description of wearing a thong for the first time is quite as traumatic as described, but it did add comic relief. Perfect heroes can be boring and irritating, but Ms. Higgins added enough of his own psychoses to get me over the hump.

On the down side, we don't all get resolution to our past. Saying I'm sorry doesn't unpublish a mean comment from People Magazine, and I wanted to see Jack grow a backbone with Hadley. Being a "too nice" person myself, I understand his conflict, but there comes a point when a stand needs to be made. If I would have changed anything about the book, it would be those too things. With that being said...

A funny, poignant, story that touched all my emotions, I enjoyed it from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment